Friday, March 16, 2007

Multi-tasking Mayhem

I'm a multi-tasker.. always have been and always will be. It's just the way I live my life. I think it's because I definitely have more on my plate than physical hours in the day but also I feel that it's just the way I'm wired. I can't even watch TV or a movie without also doing something else (knitting, writing, reading, homework, surfing, etc.) I also simultaneously listen and watch as well. It's not uncommon for me to be listening to my ipod and watching TV at the same time. I definitely plug-in and even listen to podcasts while reading.

So, I know that this is just who I am and how I operate. This week though, I need to just compartmentalize a bit. I'm bouncing from project to project and have been getting sidetracked. I think it's because there are so many things that I want to get done online that it's hard to stick with just one until completion because a.) I don't have the hours to commit, b.) I get bored doing one thing for a long period of time, c.) I don't really have the answers for all the directions that I'm headed and need to make some huge decisions, and d.) I don't really know HOW to do many of the things that I want to do.


Just a few of the many "projects" that I'm working on and/or have on my list of things that I would like to do:
  • revamp website (decide if I'm going to do it myself or go with a company)
  • research and make decision about above
  • research and switch web host
  • switch blogs to Word Press hosted on sites
  • make new logos for site(s)
  • run feeds through Feedburner
  • automate my rss file creation (after switching web hosts since I can't do .htaccess on my current one.)
  • decide definitively which website addy I'm going to plug into those little boxes when answering comments on other's blogs. (Read= decide where I'm going in terms of my "brand")
  • make new (long overdue) promo
  • create liners, sweepers for podcast
  • background theme music
  • New intro
  • Finally get second podcast off the ground
  • make new business cards
  • learn how to edit some video that I took and need to upload (long overdue!)
  • continue move of all old photo galleries from my site to my Flickr account

So, the head is swimming with ideas and bouncing from place to place. I've already started streamlining the website on my own and have decluttered some pages and will do a few a day for now. If I decide to go with a company to revamp the whole thing then that's ok too...

Those things are in addition to my usual updating of the site, research and podcasting my show, keeping up with my email and daily blog reading, twittering away, doing homework for my HTML class and just spending some random time online surfing, chatting, and playing a bit in Second Life (hey... all work and no play is not a way to live!)

So... I'm off of work today and already have a clean house so I'm jumping into the email box first and we'll see where I go from there.

Oh yah... all that SNOW that I've been dying for all winter, will be coming today, just when I've switched to Spring mode! (Sure enough, the minute I put away all winter decorations at home and school, it comes!) As I told a friend last night on Skype chat, Murphy's Law says: Always bring an umbrella on a field trip and you'll be assured great weather!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck researching the web redesign, Karen. I'm researching the switch to a blog, too. I'll probably experiment on a secondary site before I switch comedy4cast, though. That way, no one (except me) will be puzzled if I mess things up.

3/16/2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Charles Cadenhead said...

No twittering?!?! And you call yourself a multi-tasker. ;)

-Charles

3/21/2007 2:28 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ahh... you missed it Charles

*Those things are in addition to my usual updating of the site, research and podcasting my show, keeping up with my email and daily blog reading, twittering away, doing homework for my HTML class and just spending some random time online surfing, chatting, and playing a bit in Second Life (hey... all work and no play is not a way to live!)*

But heck.. you must have been multitasking yourself while reading my post ;-)

3/21/2007 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home