Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Please... NO Harry Potter Spoilers!

The challenge is on.. the challenge of NOT stumbling upon any Harry Potter spoilers posted online before I get a chance to read the final book in J K Rowlings series. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would WANT to know what happens in the end. I know that there are tons of spoilers out there and I just don't want to be duped by some bully who just wants to rain on my parade. Maybe you have to be a Harry Potter fan to understand or maybe you just have to be a "reader".


Long before I was a Pats fan, or there was even such a thing as "New Media" to be hooked on I was book lover. I've been an avid reader ever since I started to read. I could never wait for the Book Fair at school and still look fondly at some of the books that I purchased way back in the 70's as they are now on my school bookshelf with Karen T. scrolled in them in oversized manuscript.

As I progressed from simple picture books to chapter books, I was often told by my mother to "Go outside and play" because I'd read for hours and hours getting caught up in the entire Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, or Happy Hollisters mystery series. Of course, you can't forget my all time favorite Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. (I've been a sucker for series and sequels ever since and take ownership of them; it's like visiting an old friend every time you meet a familiar character or recognize a familiar place.)

As a teen, I read all of the best sellers and was never without a paperback in my hand or pocketbook. I perfected the art of Walk and Read... making my trek back and forth to school and in the halls reading as I went along. My reading passion continued right through to adulthood although other obligations (family, work, house) and past times (Patriots, music, new media) have cut into my reading time considerably.

Even now, once I find authors I like, I read everything by them and keep an eye out for each new release and grab it as it comes out. Of course, I've read the entire catalogs of James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, Jane Green, Sophie Kinsella, the Oprah Book Club books, most best sellers, and tons and tons of "chick lit" in addition to so much more. I've also read a lot of Young Adult fiction, covering the Newbery Medal Award Winners and naturally... Harry Potter!

I jumped on board right from the get-go and have picked up each new book on its release date. Nothing beats the day that I stopped at BJ's all dressed up on my way to my nephew's wedding to scoff up book 5, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

So.... I'm being extra cautious this week with my online time and really being cognizant of links that I click so that I won't stumble upon something that will disclose what will happen. The whole point of reading is to make a connection and take that ride with the characters. I want to feel and experience the events as they are happening. Nothing beats a heart-pounding , page turning story (besides a heart-wrenching, tears streaming one) for me and I definitely don't want to know where I'm going before I get there. That will be a total rip-off!

I've got a PECS training for the next two days and I won't be online much so I'll be relatively safe as long as I don't get tricked into clicking something not clearly marked. Once I get my hands on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I'll be holed up with nose to the page devouring it and savoring it until the very last page has been turned. Then I can shed a tear because it's over and talk about it freely.


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Cj said...

You are not alone. I'm scared to death that someone will give something away. I'm being very cautious as well!

7/18/2007 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home